The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I finally read it.
These are the parts I highlighted:
- “Treasure is uncovered by the force of flowing water, and it is buried by the same currents.”
- “If you start out by promising what you don’t even have yet, you’ll lose your desire to work toward getting it.”
- “The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world, and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon.”
- “It’s called the principle of favorability, beginner’s luck. Because life wants you to achieve your Personal Legend,”
- “We have to take advantage when luck is on our side, and do as much to help it as it’s doing to help us.”
- “I’m afraid that if my dream is realized, I’ll have no reason to go on living.”
- “…every blessing ignored becomes a curse.”
- “How do I guess at the future? Based on the omens of the present. The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better.”
- “Every day was there to be lived or to mark one’s departure from this world.”
- “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.”
- “Men dream more about coming home than about leaving.”
- “They were seeking the treasure of their Personal Legend, without wanting actually to live out the Personal Legend.”
- “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”
- “Later, we simply let life proceed, in its own direction, toward its own fate. But, unfortunately, very few follow the path laid out for them – the path to their Personal Legends, and to happiness.”
- “When you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed.”
- “And anyone who interferes with the Personal Legend of another being never will discover his own.”
- “Everything that happens once can never happen again. But everything that happened twice will surely happen a third time.”
My spirit and my soul came together, bowed their heads and said Amen. My heart watched me read what it has been trying to tell me all along. Am I just a shepherd minding my sheep because it’s what I’m doing now and good at or am I somehow on my path to my reserved treasure – my Personal Legend?
I know THE whole world has read this book and for all the books I’ve read, this one is deserving of all the praise. To say this is a good book is simple yes, but enough. It is. Like faith, no one can convince another into faith because it’s something that happens to us. I’ve seen this book too many times in too many places. That treasure which, for some reason, I never picked up. Maybe I wasn’t ready. I don’t know if I was now. I’m grateful for it either way.